COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Ohio State track and field team began the 2023 indoor season at the Rod McCravy Memorial on Friday in Lexington, Ky., earning four event wins.
The Buckeyes began the season by sweeping the high jump competition. Reign Winston cleared 2.04m on the men’s side and Amaya Ugarte captured the women’s win by clearing 1.78m. Abbey Kuhn won the women’s pole vault by being the lone competitor to clear 3.97m. Leah Bertrand capped the evening with a win in the 200m (24.09).
- All three OSU men finished in the top-seven of the weight throw competition. Carlos Aviles led the way with a fourth-place finish (18.34m) with Hayden Tobias right behind Aviles in fifth place (18.31m). Josh Miller finished seventh with a best throw of 17.36m.
- The Buckeye women had four advance to the 60m semifinals. Nya Bussey had the fastest time in the first round (7.45), while Bertrand also won her heat with the third-fastest overall time (7.46). Alyssa Marsh (7.61) and Janela Spencer (7.70) also advanced.
- All three of the Buckeye men advanced to the 60m semifinals. Trey Gardette and Adrian Curry each won their heat with a time of 6.85. Shacquille Lowe also advanced with a time of 6.97.
- In the 60m hurdles, all four of the OSU women advanced to tomorrow’s semifinals. Marcia Sey led the way with the fifth-fastest time (8.56) in the field. Spencer (8.76), Chanler Robinson (8.79) and Noa Smith (8.93) also advanced. On the men’s side, Leo Uusimaki finished fifth overall (8.21) to advance to Saturday’s semifinals.
- The Buckeye women had two of the top-six teams in the distance medley relay. Gia Napoleon, Aniya Mosley, Carina Napoleon and Akemi Von Scherr finished third (11:48.08) and Annie Allen, Amelia Figler, Ana Karmol and Samantha Coleman (12:26.04) finished sixth.
- The Buckeye men finished fourth in the distance medley relay (10:08.47) with a team of Sean Carney, Andrew Page, Alex Kenish and Ivan Slyepkan.
- The OSU women had two more finish in the top-nine of the pole vault. AnneMarie Moses finished sixth (3.57m) and Sophie Fong (3.57m).
- Kashawn Baptiste finished fifth in the men’s 600m (1:20.25).
- Teddy Perozek cleared 1.85m in the men’s high jump to finish in a tie for sixth.
- Lacey Stringer led the Buckeyes in the women’s weight throw with an eighth-place finish (16.16m).
- Jaydan Wood rounded out the top-10 in the women’s 200m (24.69), while Trey Gardette’s 22.35 was just .04 seconds out of the top-10 on the men’s side.
- Kambi Walker…