COLUMBIA, Mo. – The University of Missouri Track and Field team will open the 2023 outdoor season this weekend in Atlanta, Ga. at the Yellow Jacket Invitational. The two-day meet will begin Friday at 11:30 a.m. CT and conclude at 2:40 p.m. CT on Saturday.
Missouri will be joined by nine other programs including host Georgia Tech. The Tigers are traveling 19 women to the meet, while the men’ travel list will feature 13 athletes.
YELLOW JACKET INVITATIONAL
- The Tigers are poised to elevate their success from a season ago as they return all eight of their 2022 NCAA qualifiers.
- Freshman Sam Innes will open the competition and make his outdoor collegiate debut in the hammer throw at 12:30 p.m. on Friday
- Sophia Rivera headlines the Missouri women’s field as the senior placed ninth in the javelin to earn Second-Team All-American honors at the NCAA Outdoor Championships a season ago.
- Joining Rivera in the deep javelin field is program record holder Skylar Ciccolini who last competed for the Tigers at the 2021 NCAA Championships where she finished ninth
- Erin Zimmerman will round out the Missouri’s entrants in the event as she ranks sixth on the Tigers’ all-time event leaderboard.
- Valentina Barrios Bornacelli, an offseason addition from Washington State, is poised to make her first Tiger appearance after finishing eighth in the event at last year’s national title meet.
- Carolina Daza, another offseason addition from the Cougars, leads the Tigers in the hammer throw following a ninth-place result in the event at the Pac-12 championships last season
- Mitch Weber, the reigning SEC champion in the discus, will take the first step in defending his event title on Saturday at noon.
FOLLOW THE TIGERS
For all the latest on Mizzou Track & Field, stay tuned to MUTigers.com and follow the team on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (@MizzouTFXC).
CLICK HERE to Read the Full Original Article at University of Missouri Athletics…