JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The Virginia men’s track and field team closed competition on the opening day of the NCAA East Preliminaries on Wednesday evening (May 24) at Hodges Stadium as Ethan Dabbs punched his ticket to the NCAA Championships while Wes Porter and Conor Murphy each advanced to the quarterfinal round.
Dabbs Bound for Austin
Ethan Dabbs is headed back to the NCAA Championships in the javelin after placing fifth with a throw that reached 72.90 meters (239’2”).
- Dabbs returns the championship meet after winning silver in 2022
- The fifth-place finish assures that he will compete in the second flight of competition at the championships
- Dabbs brings with him plenty of championship experience as a four-time ACC Champion and two-time All-American
- The last time the NCAA Championships were held in Austin, Dabbs placed seventh throwing 72.23 meters
- He has now qualified for the NCAA Championships three times out of his four seasons competing at UVA
Virginia freshman, Tyler Zawatski competed in the first flight of the men’s javelin marking the first appearance at the NCAA regionals of his young career. Battling windy conditions, Zawatski marked 59.74 meters (196’0”).
🎙️ “Survive and advance”
Hear from Ethan Dabbs after clinching his spot at the NCAA Championships ⤵️#GoHoos⚔️ pic.twitter.com/PgkOGMWDVk
— Virginia Track & Field and Cross Country (@UVATFCC) May 24, 2023
Porter Advances to Quarterfinals
In the men’s 1500 meters, Wes Porter impressed in the closing stage of the race to place fifth and secure qualification to the NCAA quarterfinal round.
- Porter posted a time of 3:46.90, his fifth-place finish earned automatic qualification to the quarterfinals
- This marks Porter third appearance in the quarterfinal round of the 1500 having reached this stage in each of the past two seasons – he has never reached the NCAA Championship meet
- Porter entered the competition as the No. 33 seed with his season-best 3:41.51 – his personal best stands at 3:39.73 which he ran in 2022
- The quarterfinal round will be run on Friday (May 26) at 5:15 p.m. where 12 runners will advance to Austin – the top five in each heat will advance automatically along with the next two fastest times
Moving on in the 1500 ➡️
An impressive bell lap from Wes Porter secures automatic qualification to Friday’s quarterfinals 👊#GoHoos⚔️ pic.twitter.com/03uz118LNF
— Virginia Track & Field and Cross Country (@UVATFCC) May 24,…
CLICK HERE to Read the Full Original Article at Track & Field – Virginia Cavaliers Official Athletic Site…