PULLMAN, Wash. — Washington State men’s and women’s cross country teams are set to return to competition this Friday in the WSU Alumni Open, the first of two home meets from Colfax Golf Club. The meet will begin at 5 p.m. with the men’s 6k, followed by the women’s 4k at 5:30 p.m.
Live and official results will be provided by AthleticTiming and be found here.
Quick Notes: 2023 WSU Women’s Cross Country
– WSU returns five of its six who finished last season at the 2022 NCAA West Regional including Samantha Boyle, Mevin Jelagat, Caroline Jerotich, Neema Kimtai, and Alaina Stone Boggs, as well as several impact newcomers.
– Cristina Molteni transferred to WSU January of 2023 track season and paved her way into the top-10 in the 3,000m (9:26.56, fourth all-time) and 5,000m (16:40.19, fifth all-time) during the indoor season. After also climbing into the top ten in the 1,500m (4:23.92, ninth all-time) and 5,000m (16:24.13) during the outdoor season, she now will make her cross country debut wearing Crimson and Gray this Friday.
– Neema Kimtai placed 10th in 19:38.5 at the 2022 Pac-12 Championships in Riverside, Calif., while Alaina Stone Boggs finished 14th in 19:47.8 at last season’s conference meet.
– Grad transfer Maya McCabe makes the move to the Palouse after graduating from Seattle U. At Seattle U, she held a lifetime best of 2:08.82 in the women’s 800m on the track and a cross country personal-best of 22:36.2 in the women’s 6k.
Quick Notes: 2023 WSU Men’s Cross Country
– Junior Brian Barsaiya placed 39th, the highest of any Coug, with a time of 29:20.1 at last season’s NCAA West Regional.
– A young group in 2022, the 2023 Cougars return 100 percent of its competition roster from a season ago.
– Kelvin Limo ran a time of 18:00.7 in the men’s 6k at last season’s WSU Invitational to finish runner-up behind Barsaiya who won the last meet at Colfax Golf Club with a 6k time of 17:45.
Washington State will have a one-week break from competition before hosting the Cougar Classic Invitational on Fri., Sept. 15, back at the Colfax Golf Club. Entries for the Cougar Classic Invitational will be due at directathletics.com by Mon., Sept. 11, at 8 p.m. PST.
For all the latest WSU Cross Country news, photos, and videos, like the team on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/wsucougartrack) or follow on Twitter…