CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. — The Virginia men’s and women’s track and field program began the first day of three competitions including the Eagle Elite Invitational, David Hemery Valentine Invitational and Tiger Paw Invitational on Friday (Feb. 9) as Gary Martin claimed the Virginia mile record just under a year after it was set on a historic day in 2023.
Gary Martin Sets Mile Record
- At the Eagle Elite Invitational, Cavalier sophomore Gary Martin set a Virginia record in the mile running a blistering time of 3:54.73 which places him second in the ACC and 12th in the NCAA indoor performance rankings
- Running in the same heat as Martin, Conor Murphy finished with a time of 4:05.02 to place seventh in the heat
- Wes Porter became the second Cavalier of the day to go under the four-minute mark with his time of 3:59.50 as he won the second heat.
- Martin’s record-setting performance comes two days short of a year after the record was set by Conor Murphy who led five Virginia milers to sub-four minute performances at the David Hemery Valentine Invitational, just two miles down the road from the site of Martin’s record-setting mile.
Hock and Seasholtz Stun over 800 meters
- Maggie Hock started the Cavaliers off with a second-place finish in her heat of the women’s 800 meters. She clocked a 2:05.52, less than half a second off her personal best and the third-fastest time in UVA history.
- Keara Seasholtz ran 2:07.72 for 800 meters in the following heat, another top-10 UVA all-time result at the legendary Boston University indoor track.
Workman Sets the Standard
- At the BU Valentine Invitational, Anna Workman placed third among collegiate runners in a loaded first heat of the mile clocking 3:34.12.
- Freshman, Tatum David, placed eighth in her heat, running 4:45.10 across eight laps. David’s effort was enough to crack the top-5 freshman indoor leaderboard for the mile.
- Jenny Schilling ran a 16:15.08 in the last event of the night, the 5000 meters. This performance puts her at fourth all-time at UVA.
Cohen and Leath Secure Crack UVA Top-10 List
- In the men’s 800 meters at the Eagle Elite, Shane Cohen won his heat clocking in at 1:49.06. Not only was Cohen’s performance a personal best, but it placed him at number five on the UVA all-time indoor performance list.
- Following his teammates stellar performance, Alex Leath threw down a 1:49.10 to win his heat and add his name to the all-time indoor performance list in the 800 meters while…