CLEMSON, S.C. – Duke track and field pushed its record-breaking total to six for the weekend as the Blue Devils closed out two days of indoor competition at the Tiger Paw Invitational and BU Valentine Invitational unseating program records in the women’s shot put, men’s 200m and men’s 3,000m.
In addition to shattering the trio of records, the Blue Devils also notched four more top-five program marks across the two meets.
TOP PERFORMANCES – TIGER PAW INVITATIONAL
- Graduate student MaKayla Mason was the headliner on Saturday as the graduate student delivered a sensational performance in the women’s shot put invitational.
- On her second attempt of the competition, Mason registered a monster throw of 17.38m (57-0.25 feet) – good for third among the field. The Lee’s Summit, Mo., product’s throw decimated the 12-year-old school record by nearly two feet and bested her previous best by two meters.
- Over on the track, it was graduate student Ezra Mellinger who turned in the highlight performance of the day for the Duke sprinters.
- Taking part in the men’s 200m, Mellinger dashed a personal best of 21.21 seconds to break his own school record and further solidify his spot atop the Duke charts.
- The Blue Devils also tallied top-five program marks in the men’s 800m invitational, women’s 200m and women’s 4x400m relay.
- For the second time in as many weeks, graduate student Tina Martin carved out a spot for herself on the program charts – this time in the 200m.
- Martin dashed in 23.59 seconds, moving two spots up the leaderboard into No. 2 all-time in program lore.
- Duke closed out the meet on a high note via the efforts of the women’s 4x400m relay unit.
- The Blue Devils’ foursome of graduate student Maddy Doane, sophomore Lauren Tolbert, Martin and sophomore Julia Jackson produced a season-best time of 3:35.04 – good for No. 5 all-time at Duke.
- Rounding out the respective Blue Devils that set top-five program marks at the Tiger Paw Invite was graduate student Owen Drometer, who took part in the men’s 800m.
- Behind a run of 1:49.70, Drometer tallied an eighth-place finish and etched his name in the No….