MADISON, Wis. — The Wisconsin men’s track and field team splits its weekend of competition with the throwers heading to Ripon, Wisconsin, for the Red Hawk Opener. Events begin at 11 a.m. on Saturday.
The rest of the team heads to Iowa City, Iowa, for the Larry Wieczorek Invitational. Events begin at 11 a.m. on Friday and noon on Saturday. The Badgers face Illinois, Illinois State, Indian Hills CC, Iowa, Northern Iowa, Tiffin, and Tulsa at the Iowa Recreation Building.
Here are the five events to watch:
1. THROW IT THEIR WAY: Last weekend at the Wisconsin Midwest Invitational, Sam Coil threw a personal best of 72 feet, 1 ½ inches, winning the men’s weight throw. Coil is now ranked second in the Big Ten and fifth in the NCAA this season and will be competing this weekend in Ripon. Redshirt junior Andrew Stone is set to compete this weekend in the men’s shot put after placing second last weekend in Chicago with a throw of 60-6. Also competing this weekend is Jason Swarens, who finished third in the men’s shot put with a throw of 59-4 ¼ last weekend.
2. SPRINTS AND HURDLES: Freshman Giovanni Wearing debuted his career as a Badger last weekend in the men’s 60-meter hurdles, placing third in the finals in 8.05 seconds. Also competing in sprints is redshirt sophomore Sam Amusan in the men’s 60-meter dash as well as Colin Enz and Lawrence Johnson in the men’s 300 meters.
3. LIKING THE MILE: Junior Bob Liking competed in his first mile run event last weekend at the Badgers Midwest Invitational, leading the way the entire time and won with a best time of 4:03.52. Liking is now ranked fourth in the Big Ten this season and 11th in the NCAA. Several middle distance runners will open their track seasons this weekend.
4. DISTANCE RUNNERS DEBUT: Most of the Badger distance runners will open their track seasons this weekend after four UW athletes competed in the 3,000 meters last weekend. Redshirt freshman Josh Truchon took second last weekend in 8:24.23 in Chicago. Making their season debuts this season are several members of the Badgers’ Big Ten championship cross country team, including Evan Bishop, Rowen Ellenberg, and Jack Meijer.
5. FOLLOW ALONG FOR THE ACTION: You can follow for live results on Twitter and Instagram…