Track & Field | March 10, 2023
Allie Jones was the NCAA runner-up in the pentathlon and Johnny Brackins Jr. took fifth in the men’s long jump during the first day of action at the 2023 NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championships being held at the Albuquerque Convention Center in Albuquerque, N.M. today (March 10).
- Graduate transfer Allie Jones took second in the women’s pentathlon with a personal-best score of 4,440, along the way setting three PRs. Her total score was the most ever by a Trojan at the NCAA Indoor Championships and ranks second all-time on USC’s list, just four points behind Amalie Iuel’s total of 4,444 set at the 2016 MPSF Championships. Jones started the day by taking fourth in the 60m hurdles with a time of 8.32 to earn 1,057 points. She then placed sixth in the high jump with a personal-best clearance of 5-8.75 (1.75m) to earn 916 points. The next event was the shot put and she took sixth with a mark of 39-6 (12.04m) to gain 664 more points. Jones had a big PR of 20-4.25 (6.20m) to win the long jump and earn 912 points. Jones’ long jump also moved her into ninth on USC’s all-time indoor long jump list. The results of that event moved her into third place. Jones then ran a 4-second PR of 2:15.09 to take fourth in the 800m and earn 891 points to vault up to second place overall. She and Iuel are the only Trojans to have scored in the pentathlon at the NCAA Championships.
- Sophomore Johnny Brackins Jr. took fifth in the men’s long jump with a PR of 26-9.25 (8.16m). That jump moved him from fourth to second on USC’s all-time list, trailing only Dietmar Haff’s 26-11.25 (8.21m) set in 1990. He also surpassed his previous PR with a jump of 26-6.25 (8.08m) in the third round to secure his spot in the finals.
- Brackins Jr. was not as fortunate in the 60m hurdles finishing 13th with a time of 7.95. Senior Tade Ojoja safely advanced to tomorrow’s final by posting a time of 7.66, seventh among the qualifiers.
- Junior Jan’Taijah Ford had a season-best time of 51.56 to advance fifth to tomorrow’s women’s 400m final. Freshman Yemi John just missed the cut for the final, placing ninth with a PR of 51.90. That time also improved her USC freshman record and fifth-place standing on USC’s all-time indoor 400m list.
- Graduate transfer Caisja Chandler had a PR of…
CLICK HERE to Read the Full Original Article at USC Athletics…